Weekly Noise 3 Recap/Weekly Noise 4 - Hitting a roadblock
Series: worklog November 14, 2010
I ran into some issues this week. The first task that I tried to tackle was
rendering a more complex background with 30+ shapes using
I was able to throw together a simple method for generating random curved paths for the shapes, but once I added more than three shapes, the performance dropped greatly. Even on my quad-core machine, one core pegged at 100% CPU usage and the animation started stuttering in Chrome. In Firefox, it simply crashed the browser.
After hitting this roadblock, I didn’t really work on the other tasks for the week, since this is a show-stopper. If I can’t get the performance to improve, then there isn’t really much point continuing.
I am not sure if I am just doing the animations in a really inefficient way or if the library is not meant to handle this many objects being animated at once (or a combination of both).
This week I will spend my time trying to see if I can modify my code to make it
usable, if not I will probably just have to scrap the project. I looked at some
other options like
<canvas> but those don’t seem to have
much better performance.
Goals for the week:
- Improve performance or bust…
Time budget: 3 hours